Saturday, December 26, 2009

Two Hundred and Seventy Three...



I saw Avatar. I thought I wasn't going to but it's the holidays and you are supposed to watch movies with your family or something.

I'd give it a fun six out of ten but the most interesting part I found about this film was the context in which I saw it. Considering the constant symbolic comparisons that could be made with the Iraq war, I found that I constantly felt uncomfortable, if not apologetic to the rest of the audience, considering the city in which I was watching this film. Being the liberal hippie I am I was mostly fine with it, aside from the ham-fisted delivery of it's message. But I mean, gosh, this film must have been outright offensive to the average Republican voter. I honestly thought the majority of the audience was going to cry out in frustration when, well, all that stuff happened in the end. Perhaps Republicans don't believe in symbolic representations within film and were mostly immune to the effects of it's message? Or perhaps it's really about Polar Bears and I just missed that?

No comments:

Post a Comment